We returned to Slateheugh today to finish off the survey begun yesterday. Helen and Mike completed the profile drawing while Peter and George worked on the offset drawings and then completed the GPS survey. We got the site photographed at the end of the day and trudged off towards the vehicle in good time.
Archive for Survey
Today the whole group went to Slateheugh to survey the ruinous farmstead there. The northern wall stands almost to full height, with the outline of the rest of building clearly visible on the ground. The footings of at least two further ruined buildings are also visible.
Chris and Helen began recording the profile of the upstanding remains at a scale of 1:10, while Dave, George and Peter worked on offset drawings of the footings of the outbuildings, and Gemma taught Kirsty to record the breaks of slope using the GPS.
After battling the elements until mid-afternoon, we gave in at about 3pm and headed for home. We’ll continue tomorrow!
Today Peter, Ellen and Rosie went with Charlotte to record the 18th century dovecot at Glasserton Mains. The tall square tower has a vaulted basement beneath, and the brick-built interior has hundreds of slate-shelved nesting boxes. The team then trooped off to find a cup-marked rock recorded in 2006. This rock did not make itself apparent. Bah humbug.
After deciding that we definitely could not see a cup-mark ANYWHERE, we headed off to Carleton Fell, where we easily found Machermore’s Millstone. Marked on the OS map, there is an unfinished millstone 1m in diameter visible in a rocky outcrop. According to local tradition, “the millstone was carved in the late 19th century by workmen rebuilding Carleton Farm” (http://bit.ly/t25ucC). From here, it was a short walk towards the sea to the site of a prehistoric homestead. With the walk back to the vehicle, we must have walked about 5 miles. What a long day!
To add insult to our previous no-cup-mark injury, Gemma, Helen, Mike and Janet came home with a lovely scale drawing of a cup and ring marked rock from Glasserton. Gemma taught the team a method of offset drawing, and a grand job they did of it too.
On the first day of this month’s survey, half the group headed to Port Castle and the others to Glasserton Hill.
Port Castle is a walled enclosure set high on a rocky promontory near St Ninian’s Cave. The enclosure is very overgrown with thorn, brambles, ivy and bracken, making survey a little tricky! Kirsty, Chris and Peter persevered, however, writing a site proforma, drawing a sketch plan and photographing the site.
We then walked to Glasserton Church, where there is a roofless burial aisle to the east of the church, with an inscription dating to the 16th century. We managed to record a number of features along the churchyard walls before it got dark.
Mike, Helen and Janet went with Gemma to record the earthworks at Glasserton Hill. A new phrase was coined: “doing a Janet” can be used when describing someone walking through deep mud, losing their boot and having to rootle around for it in the mire. On their way over they discovered and recorded a building with an associated granite-lined tank.
Half of the group spent Thursday and Friday finishing off the geophysical survey at Inner Wood Hill. We were using resistivity: sending an electric current between two probes to detect sub-surface features. The results of two days hard slog revealed some possible features that would support the crop mark evidence for an enclosure. We took readings in every metre square over twenty 20m grids; that’s 8000 readings, and 8km of walking! Go team geophysics!
A team of intrepid explorers spent much of Thursday wandering around the Dowalton Loch area identifying known sites, including two crannogs and an enclosure. They were so absorbed in their task that they forgot to return to the fold at lunchtime, sparking panic and dread in the rest of us. Luckily we spied them on a hilltop from afar, which assuaged our fears.
We also completed a comprehensive survey of the earthworks at Doon Hill, although they are covered with dense gorse. We have surveyed and interpreted the site, and, using both the GPS and total station, we’ve created an accurate record of the earthworks as they exist today.
It’s been busy week, and a tiring one I’m sure! Well done to everyone who took part. Our volunteers’ enthusiasm was boundless, which bodes well for the rest of the project!