We made great headway today on the first of five more days of survey in the Machars. Working in the Boreland area, Gemma, Chris, Kirsty and Jane surveyed two cairns and a pair of standing stones. One of the standing stones is no longer in its original position, having fallen or been knocked over sometime between 1976 (when it was last surveyed) and today. These stones have been interpreted in different ways in the past; in 1911 it was suggested that they used to form part of a stone circle, but a later survey refutes this claim.
Graeme and Charlotte headed to Doon Hill with Mike and Helen, recoding what is left of a fort there. The afternoon was spent at Boreland Mote, a motte on the western bank of the Bladnoch. Standing at about 6m tall, 30m long and 20m wide, the site probably had a stone or wooden tower on the summit. We conducted a survey of the site using the total station, recording the undulations of the ground so that we can create a 3D image of the site.
We are thrilled to have learned that Mike and Helen have been out and surveyed a site or two on their own since the last phase of the project. Well done chaps!