Archive for December 14, 2011

Crouse: hole stone, cairn, chapel and moated site

We spent today and yesterday at Crouse recording the White Cairn, a hole stone, and the supposed site of a chapel. We also went to the area recorded in the Name Book of 1948 as being the site of a moated enclosure. In 1970, the Ordnance Survey recorded that the moated site had been ploughed out and we can confirm this. However, the other three sites kept us occupied for much longer.

Gemma, Helen and Mike recorded the hole stone, a large monolith with a hole right through it. Local legend states that the stone was traditionally used in marriage ceremonies; read the Royal Commision’s records here. Team Gemma also recorded White Cairn using the GPS.

Charlotte, Chris and Jane went down the hill to check out the moated site, and then headed off to the site of a chapel, read the record here. The site consists of banks in a roughly rectangular shape, with much of the interior covered by gorse. We recorded the site using the total station.

The weather has been pretty awful, so well done to our volunteers for persevering in the rain and gales! Fingers crossed it will get better as the week goes on.

Boreland: cairns, standing stones, mote and fort

We made great headway today on the first of five more days of survey in the Machars. Working in the Boreland area, Gemma, Chris, Kirsty and Jane surveyed two cairns and a pair of standing stones. One of the standing stones is no longer in its original position, having fallen or been knocked over sometime between 1976 (when it was last surveyed) and today. These stones have been interpreted in different ways in the past; in 1911 it was suggested that they used to form part of a stone circle, but a later survey refutes this claim.

Standing stones at Boreland

Graeme and Charlotte headed to Doon Hill with Mike and Helen, recoding what is left of a fort there. The afternoon was spent at Boreland Mote, a motte on the western bank of the Bladnoch. Standing at about 6m tall, 30m long and 20m wide, the site probably had a stone or wooden tower on the summit. We conducted a survey of the site using the total station, recording the undulations of the ground so that we can create a 3D image of the site.

We are thrilled to have learned that Mike and Helen have been out and surveyed a site or two on their own since the last phase of the project. Well done chaps!